(UPCOMING) KEAT HONG 2020
Singapore, 13 February 2016 – Mr Zaqy Mohamad, Adviser to Chua Chu Kang GRC GROs (Keat Hong), unveiled extensive plans to rejuvenate Keat Hong at the constituency’s Lunar New Year celebration dinner. The plans fall under the vision of KEAT HONG 2020 where the constituency will see a significant part of the estate revitalised over the next four years into a vibrant and contemporary residential hub, incorporating the latest facilities to encourage an active lifestyle. This is the first time the constituency has branded all these developments under one banner.
Said Mr Zaqy Mohamad: “Keat Hong is a neighbourhood with a lot of history; where many residents have lived here for two generations or more. The estate, therefore, needs to be rejuvenated with the “hardware” component, while strengthening the community spirit with the “heartware” component.
We would also like to empower our residents with more say and involvement on how their estates can be improved under KEAT HONG 2020. They will have more opportunities to voice out their views and suggestions through our sharing sessions. The first sharing session will kick start in April 2016 under the Neighbourhood Renewal Programme (NRP).”
Fostering Community Ties and Encouraging an Active Lifestyle
* “Heartware” will take the form of community initiatives by People’s Association and Grassroots Organisations to strengthen the community spirit in Keat Hong.
* The upcoming five-storey Community Club @ Keat Hong, located opposite Lot One Shoppers’ Mall, will be the first Community Club in Singapore to have an 18-lane bowling centre as well as a ceiling to floor LED wall located at the centre of the plaza where residents will be able to enjoy movie screenings and possibly, ‘live’ sports matches in future. Residents can also look forward to the family-friendly 24-hour gym when it opens in December 2016.
* Apart from this iconic lifestyle hub, together with People’s Association, the Grassroots Organisations will continue to serve the residents with initiatives which are tailor-made and catered for the different groups of residents.
Renewal and Provision of Additional Facilities
* “Hardware” consists of at least $50m worth of upgrading projects which will be undertaken by Chua Chu Kang Town Council, Housing and Development Board (HDB), Land Transport Authority (LTA), NParks and various agencies.
* Children in Keat Hong can look forward to Singapore’s first-ever “castle-themed” playground and an innovative new-concept cycling station called “Speed Racer” which uses human kinetic energy to power an electronic racing game board.
* Under the NRP, Blocks 401 – 428 in Choa Chu Kang Ave 3/4 will see improvements to their common areas. The heart of the precinct will take on new life as a Mega Active Lifestyle Hub, consisting of a playground, fitness corners, and game courts suitable for residents of all ages.
* Apart from the upcoming sharing sessions for this particular NRP which will kick start in April 2016, residents can also expect to receive similar invitations to attend sharing sessions or to provide their suggestions through surveys in the near future for various projects like Large-scale Town-wide and Repairs & Redecorations.
Improving Connectivity to Public Transport & Amenities
* Mooted by Mr Zaqy Mohamad, residents can expect the traffic flow to improve with the stretch of Choa Chu Kang Ave 4, between Choa Chu Kang Loop and Choa Chu Kang Drive, to be widened by the second quarter of 2016.
* Residents will also benefit from the phased implementation of sheltered linkways within 400m radius of the Choa Chu Kang MRT to major pathways. These will be implemented in phases, in tandem with the development of the new Community Club, road widening works as well as the bus interchange upgrade.
In addition, there are other initiatives being planned under KEAT HONG 2020 and these will be revealed in due course.